Sunday, January 16, 2011

C. crispa

C. crispa
This is a new addition to my collection and one I have been after for a few years. While it is not a common plant to be found in collections in my orchid circles, it is a plant with a storied past. The Horticultural Society of London received its first plant in 1826 from Brazil and by 1827 it flowered. It was examined by the famous John Lindley who proclaimed it a cattleya. And a cattleya it remained until 1853 when it fell into the Laelia genus, which ironically was created by Lindley, though it’s said he never described it as such. Since that time, it has been through many renaming’s; Bletia crispa [Lindley]Rchb.f 1861; Brasilaelia crispa (Lindl.) Campacci 2006; *Cattleya crispa Lindley 1828; Cattleya reflexa Parm. ex Walp. 1861; Hadrolaelia crispa ( Lindl. ) Chiron & V.P.Castro 2002; Laelia crispa var reflexa Rchb.f 1854; Sophronitis crispa (Lindl.) C. Berg & M.W. Chase 2000. (Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia Jan. 2011.  http://www.orchidspecies.com/laelaicrispa.htm) But for me, it’s a cattleya, and I am happy to have it.
According to my source, it should start new growth in late summer and be complete in late fall, and some times produce a second growth if it is happy. This one I just got seems to be working on a new growth now, I am hoping that is a sign it is happy and not just confused as to what time of the year it is. I am told it blooms in mid to late summer in my area. Mine has no sheaths yet, but perhaps it will make one on this new growth and reward me with flowers this summer.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite Orchid, I admire this orchid so long, until now still cannot buy @ my home country. Good luck to you,happy to hear the progress of this plant in the next post.

    ReplyDelete