Wednesday, April 13, 2011

C. lueddemanniana

C. lueddemanniana

Sad to say my work has kept me away from the blog for to long. But on the plus side my plants have been having a good spring. In particular my C. lueddemanniana has done very well. It put on quite a show. It gave me 13 huge flowers all in bloom at the same time. I have a particular love for this plant because it was the first species cattleya that I had in the collection. Thus far it has never let me down. I have found that C. lueddemanniana loves sun, the more I give it in the summer, the better the bloom will be in the spring. When the plants are in the shade tent over the summer, this plant is in a position that get full, unfiltered morning sun and then only 30% shade in the afternoon. I have found that as long as the plant stays cool, it will take all the sun you can give it. My only complaint with C. lueddemanniana is that, the bloom is short lived. Mine stays in bloom maybe 14 days then fades away again for another year. I have added several seedling crosses of C. lueddemanniana from Sunset Valley Orchids recently. I look forward to seeing what they have to offer as they grow.





1 comment:

  1. Fabulous species! I've been acquiring seedlings for the last two years.

    ReplyDelete