Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dgmra. Memoria Jay Yamada ‘Kauai’

Dgmra. Memoria Jay Yamada ‘Kauai’
This is a plant I picked up at the local independent garden center. I was not really sure what a ‘DGMRA’ was when I picked it up, but it turn out Degarmoara (Dgmra.) is a trigeneric hybrid between Brassia, Miltonia, and Odontoglossum. When I got it, it was overgrown in a 4inch plastic pot and had one bloom spike. After the bloom finished and plant produced a new growth with new roots I potted it up in a clay pot and put it out in the shade tent with my catts for the summer.  The plant is now rewarding me with quite a show.



6 comments:

  1. What are the care requirements? I have one as well and the information on Google is rather conflicting. Do they like Cattleya type light or bright shade? Do they like to go almost dry between waterings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can't say for sure my way will work for you, but I treat it like a cattleya. In the summer I put it out in the 100 degree heat in Va and water it every few days. In the winter I give it water every other day because my humidity is low in my winter growing area and it dries out so fast. Over all, I likely give it too much light, it turns a nice shade of purple in the summer, but is seems to bloom for me every year. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to say mine is now in bloom. The flowers are so beautiful to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beauty. I don't think I'm doing it right. I have the 2nd bloom in 2 years, but not as many flowers (just one spike). I'll start watering it more. It gets quite a lot of sun and has beautiful colors. I adore the fragrance that is delicate, but fills my small sunroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is in bloom again this time of year. They don't seem to like getting cold. If you keep it very close to the glass it might be getting chilly at night and giving less of a spike. Also, I do find this plant is a water lover. Good luck growing!

    ReplyDelete