Monday, December 27, 2010

The Winter Growing Area

The Winter Growing Area
I have for years now wanted a greenhouse, but alas I have not the space or time for one. Until that changes, I grow outside under a shade tent in the summer and move things in for the winter. My house has an enclosed brick patio with floor to ceiling windows and lots of light. There is a “gravel sink” between the glass and the brick so it makes watering nice.

The winters are cold in my area, the lows have been in the teens the last week and the heat has been on full time. The room is heated from a gas furnace, and it saps the moisture out of the air really quickly. I keep two humidifiers going full time but struggle to keep the humidity around 50%. I keep the low temp above 55 in the winter (average is 58) and like to see the high temp  in the 80’s, but I have to have a sunny day to help get me there. On an overcast day I am lucky to see 65.


There looks to be move in my future, and I would love to build a greenhouse at the next house. I will be staying in VA, but like going further west in the state and the temp will be cooler than where I am now. If anyone other has any insight into greenhouse construction, selection, or any other advice I would love to hear it.
I stole this last photo from the internet, but I would love to have this greenhouse……..

1 comment:

  1. I would love that greenhouse too. My suggestions are: Make the slab thicker than minimum, use a kit and make it bigger than you think you need, install gas, water and electricity. Have more plugs that you think you need. Remember it is easier to reduce light than add light. The greenhouse will cost more than you think but worth it.

    Your indoor growing area looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete