Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ornithocephalus bicornis

Ornithocephalus bicornis
I picked this little guy up at the Merritt Huntington Memorial Symposium in October. It was the first time I had ever been to this event and I really thought they did a job with it. There were a lot of vendors selling plants and the speakers were top rate. Among the vendors selling plants were these guys, Orquideas del Valle. They had a lot of stuff I thought looked really good, including a ton of great miniatures.  This Ornithocephalus came in the basket with sphagnum and seems to be doing well. The vendor recommended I mount it to bark or a stick, but I am opting to wait until the spring, or when the plants looks like it is making new roots. I grow it with my cattleyas, which the vendor told me it would like, and so far so good.
I have never had an Ornithocephalus before, and in general it is not my prototypical plant. I am a cattleya man for the most part and they make up the bulk of my collection. However, a club member owns one of these plants and had it in a show and I really liked it. I never thought seriously about owning it until I saw it was for sale for around 10 bucks. How can you say no at that price?


1 comment:

  1. They shouldn't, but miniatures get me. I can always think of a spot for them, so I never hesitate when the price is right.

    ReplyDelete